In the words of the California 9th Circuit Court, Terms of Service of a website are essentially unenforceable, as they are “lengthy, opaque, subject to change, and seldom read”.
Here are the important bits from a standard ToS:
- I can’t be held responsible for all of the material posted on this site, because I lack infinite moderation powers.
- I definitely can’t be held responsible for anything that’s linked to on the site, because that is how the internet works what the hell, lawyers.
- If you post anything, you grant me permission and license to host it on this site, as well as license for me or anybody else on this site to remix, modify, or adjust it as they see fit, and also post it on this site.
- I’m allowed to terminate your access to the website at any time, for any reason.
- You won’t break the law.
- This website is provided “as is” - If there might have been any implied warranties - merchantibility, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement - I disclaim them. I disclaim them so much.
- You agree to indemnify and hold harmless me against any claims arising from your use of the website. (If you do something with this website and get sued, you’re the one who gets sued, not me.)
- Law law law.